• Email:
  • Password:
  • Remember Me

Print   Subscribe    Share
RN,MSN,CDE,FAADE,CNS
Can coffee prevent Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer's Disease. New study gives some insight
Section:  General Diabetes
This is a must read:

Kun Huang, PhD (a professor of biological pharmacy at the Huazhong University of Science & Technology)and colleagues wrote in the American Chemistry Society's Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry. “We found three major coffee compounds can reverse this toxic process and may explain why coffee drinking is associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes,” Those substances are Caffeine, Caffeic Acid, Chlorogenic acid

The possibility exists that perhaps coffee can block a substance called human islet amyloid polypeptide (hIAPP) from causing Type 2 diabetes by interfering with pacreatic function. It is interesting to note that a similar amyloid peptide is implicated in Alzheimer's disease.

Here is another interesting idea pertinent to this discussion:"Deposits of the abnormal protein damage and destroy insulin-producing "islet" cells in the pancreas. " You can read more about this in Science Daily...an old edition, but nonetheless significant: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070910095830.htm
MEMBER COMMENTS
Re: Can coffee prevent Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer's Disease. New study gives some insight

Hi P: have there been similar studies but using decafe coffee?

Re: Can coffee prevent Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer's Disease. New study gives some insight

Here are 2 that I found related to decaf coffee....but do not specifically refer to amyloid plaques

Caffeine was one of the three key ingredients  - so happy -  I am a coffee drinker!   The hope of a connection with amyloid deposit protection would be even better. 

Coffee in the morning is a must for me. too, Christine......,I think I'll start having some in the afternoon too!

Thanks for posting this.

A day w/o coffee is a day I would not survive :-).

Having grown up in Europe I do tend to prefer my coffee stiff enough to allow the spoon to stand on it's own when I stir in my coconut oil.

Maybe I need a caffeine meter along with my AcuCheck Aviva?

reasonable coffee

Interesting studies, but I'm estimating that 99% if the folks with T2 I see already drink coffee.  Of course, most of them also add sugar and flavored creamers to their coffee and look at me in horror when I suggest the possiblity of drinking it black.

I don't like anything coffee-flavored, not even mocha flavoring, so perhaps I just don't understand the allure of coffee. It seems to me that when we talk about addictions, coffee is one of the top culprits. Thoughts?

If this turns out to be  a big advocated recommendation......you may have hit on a new idea for an invention! The "Bruce Coffee Meter"!

I drink coffee everyday and have for many many years -large amounts years ago now 2-3 cups per day. It didn't spare me from Diabetes. Sorry folks I think there has to be another component besides the coffee. More studies needed maybe?