• Email:
  • Password:
  • Remember Me

Print   Subscribe    Share
RN,MSN,CDE,FAADE,CNS
New Pediatric study: Using technology for Type 1 Diabetes to help with parent-child communication
Section:  Nursing

This study appeared in Diabetes Care, 02/20/2012.

Since children today are so technologically savvy, I found this to be a very valuable study in using technology to help solve some of the problems facing parents trying to communicate with their children who must learn positive self management skills and attitudes without feeling that their parents are harassing them. It will be interesting to see what others think of this study.

Here is an explanation of the study:

Forty–eight children with Type 1 Diabetes and with a mean age of 8.8  “were randomly assigned to one of two study groups, a control group (conventional care without technology) or an experimental group (conventional care with technology), and followed for 12 months.” The experimental group of families were given the Automated Diabetes Management System (ADMS), which automatically collects blood glucose  values and sends to parent(s) a 21–day BG trending report via e–mail each night”  The Hemoglobin A1c of each child was  taken every four months at the clinic visits; diabetes self-care behavior measures were obtained at baseline and every 6 months. The children in both experimental and control groups experienced no change in their emotional response to BGM.

Title of the study: Integrating an Automated Diabetes Management System Into the Family Management of Children With Type 1 Diabetes: Results from a 12-month randomized controlled technology trial
Diabetes Care, 02/20/2012

Authors:Patricia Reyes ,DeUniversity of California Los Angeles School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California;Eric Link, BA,The Diabetes and Endocrine Center of South Texas at Driscoll Children's Hospital, Corpus Christi, Texas ;Kevin L. McMahon, BS,Diabetech, Sacramento, California; Tammy R Toscos,PhD, School of Health and Human Services, Indianna University-Purdue University, Fort Wayne, Indianna;Stephen W. Ponder, MD, CDE,Center for Health Services Research, Regenstrief Institute, Indianapolis, Indiana; Barbara J. Anderson, PH,Lone Star Diabetes and Endocrinology, Odessa, Texas, Mayer B. Davidson, MD, Texas Tech University School of Medicine-Permian Basin, Odessa, Texas,Martin L. Lee, PHD, CSTAT, CSCI,Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas ;Elaine Montemayor-Gonzalez, RD, partment of Endocrinology, Charles R. Drew University, Los Angeles, California

Corresponding author:Tammy R. Toscos, ttoscos@indiana.edu.

MEMBER COMMENTS
Re: New Pediatric study: Using technology for Type 1 Diabetes to help with parent-child communication

Do you know if the ADMS product is available for use in the general (not research) population?  I've got a patient that lives in a group home, who's Mom tries to stay on top of her son's glucose values the old fashioned way: using a log book.

I would be interested in any others you might suggest as well.  I have to admit, I'm techno phobic!

Re: New Pediatric study: Using technology for Type 1 Diabetes to help with parent-child communication

Hi Joan

Why don't you e-mail Corresponding author:Tammy R. Toscos, ttoscos@indiana.edu.

just did that!  tx....